Sprucing Up Your Outdoor Space
Your yard is an extension of your home – so make it as inviting outside as it is inside.
From the furnishings to the lighting even the greenery and the overall look – it’s yours to decide.
Here are a few tips to help make your space as welcoming (and safe) as possible.
- Make sure your space is well lit – While summer days are long, you can extend the tie you spend outdoors by adding some well-placed lighting. This could include motion lights by your garage or backdoors and/or solar lights along a walkway or to mark the edges of landscaping.
- Comfy furniture – If you already have wicker or wrought iron furniture, pick up some pillows to make it more comfortable and inviting.
- Even pathways – Uneven pathways can spell danger. Make sure the ground is level wherever you place stepping stones or pavers. Ensure no edges are sticking up along landscape beds that are tripping hazards.
- Decorate – Bring some decorations outside to liven up your outdoor space. Decorative outdoor items can be found at most big box stores and can help create a homier space.
- Add an umbrella – An umbrella can provide much-needed shade and can unify your space.
- Put your plants to work – Did you know that plants can add more than greenery to your outdoor space? Lemongrass, mint and lavender help deter mosquitoes, petunias repel beetles and squash bugs. And basil is multi-functional at deterring mosquitoes and flies. Plus it’s great for cooking!
In addition to the above sprucing tips, summer is a good time to get out and take a good look at the outside of your home. Look for any weather-related damage to your siding, roof, gutters, lawn, etc.
About the 55+ LIFESTYLE at Summerfields West
The active adult residents in our 55+ independent living lifestyle community enjoy a resort-style community. Stop in to check out the convenient location and amenities and how an affordable 55+ lifestyle can have independence, luxury, and fun.