Fascinating Facts on The Library of Congress
If you haven’t, a visit to The Library of Congress is an amazing experience, and I’m not sure you could ever see and explore all it has to offer in a lifetime. Like many things it can be a best kept secret but shouldn’t be. Founded in 1800, it’s the oldest federal cultural institution in the nation. In 1814, the British burned the Capitol building including the Library. This tragically destroyed its core collection of 3,000 volumes.
Main reading room Library of Congress
The Library is the largest in the world housing some 170 million items. Books and various items are acquired as copyright deposits and through gifts, purchases, and other government agencies. The Library is also collaborating with institutions around the globe to provide content on the World Digital Library.
Library of Congress archives
The Library holds:
- The world’s largest law library of over 2.9 million volumes.
- The United States congressional publications dating back to the nation’s founding.
- The largest rare-book collection in North America with more than 700,000 volumes.
- The largest collection of 15th-century books in the Western Hemisphere.
- The first book printed in what is now the United States.
- One hundred extremely rare children’s books.
- The Gutenberg Bible, one of the treasures of the Library of Congress, was purchased in 1930. The 15th-century work is one of three perfect copies on vellum in the world.
- The papers of 23 presidents, ranging from George Washington to Calvin Coolidge.
- More than 17 million visual images.
- It contains the most comprehensive international collection of posters in the world.
- The Library hosts the most comprehensive visual record of the Civil War,
- The most comprehensive collection of American music in the world, more than 22 million items including 8.1 million pieces of sheet music.
- The world’s largest collection of comic books.
- The world’s most extensive newspaper collection.
The facts are in
This home at Summerfields West 55+ community is available now– 1,232 sq ft, 2 bedrooms,
2 baths, available at only $159, 900 so don’t delay.
Owning a home in Summerfields West holds many more benefits than you imagine. Costs are predictable and more stable than renting. There’s no large down payment because it’s a land lease which carries no expensive real estate taxes.
Check out the facts for yourself. Call today: 2018 Salem Lane, Williamstown, NJ 08094 (856) 629-2011