THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS YOU CAN DO TO WINTERIZE YOUR HOME
We’ve all heard about winterizing our homes…. But exactly does that mean? Believe it or not, it’s not all that complicated. It’s all about getting your home ready for winter.
What does that mean?
- Cleaning your gutters (snow needs to be able to go somewhere when it melts off your roof!)
- Checking steps and handrails (you want to be safe when it’s icy).
- Updating emergency kits (that way you’ll be ready if you lose power)
- Make sure your heating system is ready for the upcoming cold season (so you can be nice and cozy inside)
- Address any leaks where cold air or moisture might seep into your home by checking the caulking (seal up any drafty windows or doors)
- Open and close your windows (to keep the mechanism working properly, they need to be occasionally used!
- Change the filters in your HVAC system (they should be checked every month and changed at least every 3 months)