Playful workouts to get your heart pumping
Remember when you were a kid and couldn’t wait for recess? That was your chance to see how fast you could run, how high you could swing, or how far you could hit the ball before the bell rang. Why not turn your exercise time into something playful again? After all, when you exercise for fun, you are more apt to do it!
Why does aerobic exercise matter? It…
- Improves your stamina
- Boosts your mood
- Manages your weight
- Keeps your arteries clear and your heart strong
- Prevents or delays chronic diseases
Here are six ideas to pump up the play factor in your workout*:
- Play “I Spy”: Turn your walk into a treasure hunt. Play this classic guessing game with a friend. Or try a solo version: How many things can you spot that start with the letter B?
- Hula Hoop It: If your hips just don’t hula anymore, well that’s ok! Try spinning the hoop on your arm instead.
- Make your own carnival: Play a basketball shootout game. Swing at a piñata. Or try a homemade bean bag toss. For an extra balance challenge, stand on one foot while holding on to a chair for safety.
- Splashdown: When was the last time you played in a pool? Water workouts can get your heart pumping without being hard on your joints.
- Bounce a Balloon: How long can you and a buddy keep it from hitting the ground? This can be fun seated or standing.
- Go Head to Head: Make fitness bingo cards with a fun activity in each square. Share with a friend – and see who can mark off the most squares in a week.
*Always make sure to check with your doctor before significantly increasing your activity level.